Dornoch


Dornoch
   DORNOCH, a royal burgh, the county town, and a parish, in the county of Sutherland, 201 miles (N. N. W.) from Edinburgh; containing 2714 inhabitants, of whom 451 are in the burgh. This place is supposed to have derived its name, Dor-Neich, signifying in the Celtic language a horse's hoof, from the slaughter of a Danish general, who made a descent upon this part of the coast in 1259, and was encountered by William, Thane of Sutherland, who, having lost his sword in the battle, seized the leg of a horse lying on the ground, with which he killed his adversary, and put his followers to flight. It is of considerable antiquity, and in 1150 was an episcopal city, the residence of the bishops of Caithness, within whose province the county of Sutherland was included, and of whom Andrew is supposed to have erected the cathedral. His successor, Gilbert Murray, who was consecrated in 1222, greatly enlarged and beautified the church, in which, upon his decease in 1245, at Caithness, where the bishops had also a residence, a statue was erected to his memory, under the designation of St. Gilbert. After the death of John, Earl of Sutherland, and his countess, who in 1567 were both poisoned at Helmsdale, at the instigation of the Earl of Caithness, Mc Kay of Far, taking advantage of the minority of the young earl, then only fifteen years of age, invaded the county of Sutherland, set fire to the town of Dornoch, and laid waste the barony of Skibo. The young earl, who then resided in the castle of Skibo, was, through the persuasion of the bishop, given up to the Earl of Caithness, by whom he was carried off, and subsequently married to his daughter. In 1570, the town and castle were besieged by the Laird of Duffus and his adherents; but being obstinately defended, they set fire to the cathedral, which, with the exception only of the tower, was completely destroyed. In 1614, the Earl of Sutherland commenced rebuilding the cathedral, which for many years served for a place of worship; but subsequently falling into decay, it was restored by the late Duchess-Countess of Sutherland, during the years 1835, 6, 7, 8, and 9, at a great expense, and with a minute regard to the original design; and it at present forms one of the most interesting religious edifices in the kingdom. The lower portion of the structure contains the tombs of the ancient earls, and those of the late Duke and Duchess of Sutherland.
   
   The town is situated on the western shore of Dornoch Frith, at the south-eastern extremity of the parish, and consists of several spacious well-formed streets; the houses are of very inferior order, little better than humble cottages, and though the county town, the place has only the appearance of an insignificant hamlet. There is a respectable inn for the accommodation of travellers, at which the mail stops daily in its passage to and from the north; a post-office has been established, and there are also a bank, a savings' bank, and a friendly society. The market has been long declining, and is now but little frequented; fairs are held on the first Wednesdays in February, July, November, and December, for cattle, and on the third Wednesday in March, and on the 20th of July (O. S.), if on Wednesday, or if not, on the first Wednesday after. The town was erected into a royal burgh in 1628, by charter of Charles I., under which the government is vested in a provost, four bailies, a dean of guild, a treasurer, and eight councillors; it is also the residence of the sheriff-substitute and his officers. There are no incorporated trading companies, nor have the burgesses any exclusive privileges; the jurisdiction of the magistrates, though equal in extent to that of royal burghs, is little more than nominal, and few, if any, causes either civil or criminal are brought for their decision. The tower of the ancient episcopal castle is appropriated as a courthouse; and a new county prison has been very recently erected, possessing every requisite for the complete classification and the employment of prisoners. The burgh is associated with those of Cromarty, Dingwall, Kirkwall, Tain, and Wick, in returning a member to the imperial parliament; the number of qualified voters is twenty-two.
   The parish is bounded on the east and south by Dornoch Frith, and on the north-east by Loch Fleet, and is about fifteen miles in length, and nine in breadth. The surface towards the sea is generally flat, and in other parts diversified with hills of no very considerable height. The principal rivers are, the Carnaig, which rises to the south of Torboll, and flows through a strath into Loch Fleet, near the sands of Torboll; and the Evelix, whose source is near the head of the valley through which it flows, between richly-wooded banks, into Dornoch Frith near the Muckle ferry. The coast, with the exception of a few small rocks at Embo, to the north of the town, is flat and sandy. At the south extremity is the Muckle ferry, connecting the parish with the county of Ross; and at the northern extremity is the Little ferry, forming an excellent harbour in Loch Fleet, across which an earthen mound nearly 1000 feet in length has been constructed by the parliamentary commissioners, at a cost of £12,000, affording communication between the parishes of Golspie and Dornoch. The rivers contain trout, which are also found in several small lakes among the hills. The soil, though generally light, varies from a sandy moss to clay alternated with sand; the crops are, oats, barley, wheat, potatoes, and turnips. The system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years; extensive tracts of waste have been reclaimed and rendered profitable, and more than 6000 acres are now arable and in good cultivation. The farm-buildings are mostly substantial and comfortable; and attached to several of the farms are threshing-mills, of which some are driven by water. The cattle pastured are of the Highland black breed, and the sheep chiefly of the Cheviot, lately introduced. The rateable annual value of the parish is £3336.
   There are many thousand acres of woodland on the Sutherland estate, consisting of Scotch fir, larch, birch, alder, and various hard-wood trees, all in a thriving state. Coal has been found at Clashmore, and freestone of good quality for building occurs in various places; near the town is a large quarry, and at Embo and in other parts of the parish are quarries on a less extensive scale. Skibo Castle, a modern structure, erected on the site of the ancient castle of that name, is a handsome family residence. The chief villages are, the fishing village of Embo, situated on the coast between the town of Dornoch and the Little ferry, and the pleasant village of Clashmore, in which is a commodious inn, about three miles to the north of the Muckle ferry, and the same distance from Dornoch. The ecclesiastical affairs are under the superintendence of the presbytery of Dornoch and synod of Sutherland and Caithness. The minister's stipend is £266. 13., with a manse, and a glebe valued at £10 per annum; patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church, formerly the cathedral, is a venerable structure containing 1100 sittings. A place of worship has recently been erected for the members of the Free Church. The parochial school is held in a portion of the episcopal palace; the master has a salary of £34, with a house and garden, and the fees average £6. There are some remains of the ancient castle of Skelbo, on an eminence rising from the sea near the Little ferry; and the cross erected in commemoration of the exploit from which the burgh is supposed to have taken its name, and to which the common seal has an allusion, is, though much defaced, still remaining.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Dornoch — Koordinaten 57° 53′ N, 4° 2′ W …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Dornoch F.C. — Dornoch F.C. are Scottish football club based in Dornoch. They compete in the North Caledonian Football League and play at The Meadows. The club is nicknamed the Zeebs because of their black and white strips resembling that of a zebra. Contents 1 …   Wikipedia

  • Dornoch — (Dornock), 1) (Frith of D.), Meerbusen der Nordsee an der Ostküste von Schottland, zwischen die Grafschaften Sutherland u. Roß einschneidend; 2) Hauptstadt der schottischen Grafschaft Sutherland am gleichnamigen Meerbusen, kleiner Hafen,… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Dornoch — Dornoch, Hauptstadt (royal burgh) der schott. Grafschaft Sutherland, am Firth of D., hat gotische Kathedrale (1835 erneuert) und Palast der Bischöfe von Caithneß (jetzt Sportgebäude), die ehedem hier wohnten. Die Bewohner, (1901) 624 an der Zahl …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Dornoch — (spr. nöck), Hauptort der schott. Grafsch. Sutherland, am D. Firth, (1901) 624 E., Kathedrale, Seebad …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Dornoch — (Dahrnök), schott. Stadt in der Grafschaft Sutherland, mit 3500 E., Hafen, prachtvoller Kathedrale …   Herders Conversations-Lexikon

  • Dornoch — Coordinates: 57°53′N 4°02′W / 57.88°N 4.03°W / 57.88; 4.03 …   Wikipedia

  • Dornoch — Original name in latin Dornoch Name in other language DOC, Dornoch State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 57.8805 latitude 4.02879 altitude 13 Population 1261 Date 2011 03 03 …   Cities with a population over 1000 database

  • Dornoch — geographical name royal burgh N Scotland N of Inverness …   New Collegiate Dictionary

  • DORNOCH —    the county town of Sutherland, a small place, but a royal burgh; has a good golf course …   The Nuttall Encyclopaedia


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.